Total Pageviews

Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pirates Top 30 Prospects Before The Trade Deadline

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted anything, and I seem to be starting a lot of my most recent articles like that.  I'm going to try and change that, and with the trade deadline quickly approaching, I should have plenty to write about.
The Pirates have been rumored to be interested in players like Alex Rios, Hunter Pence, and Bud Norris.  Trading for these players would possibly require a package of prospects, so I thought I'd update my top 30 prospects in the organization to kick off my trade deadline coverage, and to give everyone an idea of the talent that may be given up in trades.  Personally, I don't think the Pirates should give up any of the players ranked in the top 10 here, as there isn't a player on the trade block that would provide enough short or long term value to warrant such a trade (that is unless the team somehow pulled off a deal for Giancarlo Stanton, which I would approve but isn't going to happen).
While ranking these players, I realized just how good the Pirates system has become, even without Gerrit Cole.  The system's top 10 prospects may very well be the best in all of baseball, and the team has guys in the 11-20 range that would easily be top 10 prospects if they were in a different organization.  If I were the general manager of the Pirates, I wouldn't try for a big deadline deal, as the names out there right now aren't really worth the price, and wouldn't be major upgrades over what the team already has.  I'm not sure if there's any player out their that would fit the mold, but if the team could fine another deal similar to the Travis Snider trade from last year, that would be preferable.  I would simply continue to build the major league club through the farm system, which has been very effective to this point.

Top 30 Prospects In the Pirates System
1.) Jameson Taillon--RHP--21--AA
2.) Gregory Polanco--OF--21--AA
3.) Tyler Glasnow--RHP--19--A
4.) Luis Heredia--RHP--18--A
5.) Alen Hanson--SS--20--A+
6.) Austin Meadows--OF--18--Rookie
7.) Nick Kingham--RHP--21--AA
8.) Reese McGuire--C--18--Rookie
9.) Josh Bell--OF--20--A
10.) Barrett Barnes--OF--21--A
11.) Tony Sanchez--C--25--AAA
12.) Stolmy Pimentel--RHP--23--AAA
13.) Victor Black--RHP--25--AAA
14.) Dilson Herrera--2B--19--A
15.) Stetson Allie--1B--22--A+
16.) Kyle McPherson--RHP--25--AAA DL
17.) Harold Ramirez--OF--18--A-
18.) Andrew Lambo--OF--24--AAA
19.) Wyatt Mathisen--C--19--A DL
20.) Jin-De Jhang--C--20--A-
21.) Clay Holmes--RHP--20--A
22.) Elvis Escobar--OF--18--A-
23.) Blake Taylor--LHP--18--Rookie
24.) Ivan De Jesus Jr--2B/SS--26--AAA
25.) Alex Dickerson--1B--23--AA
26.) Brandon Cumpton--RHP--24--AAA
27.) Jacoby Jones--CF/SS--21--A-
28.) Joely Rodriguez--LHP--21--A+
29.) Willy Garcia--OF--20--A+
30.) Max Moroff--SS--20--A

If you would like me to expand on any prospect, you can ask in the comment section below.  If you have any other questions, comments, or something you would like me to write about, you can also post in the comment section or tweet me @mikemaw45.

No comments:

Post a Comment